Thursday, November 10, 2016

In Greetings....

Into the breech, my friends. It's been far too long since I've had reason to place my thoughts in long form on the net, and I admit that it may take a while for me to get back into the swing of things. While I'm undergoing these intellectual growing pains, I hope that you'll bear with me, and see if we can't explore this vast wasteland we call my brain. Oooh, the anticipation! So let's see, what makes me a part time geek? I guess I should address the part time portion first. 

I've got a full time job in a manufacturing plant as a machine operator, forklift driver, safety team leader, and whatever other hat the company thinks they can fit on my head. On top of that, I'm a husband and a father, and those two aspects define a large portion of who I am. Additionally, I've been an infantry soldier, an armored cavalry scout, and a combat arts practitioner. All of this together takes up a large portion of my time. All of this is a full time life.

Now, my geek bona fides.

 I've been a gamer for over thirty years (I started playing the Dungeons and Dragons Red Box set back 1983, when I was ten). In addition to tabletop RPGs, I'm a fairly avid video gamer, and I must confess to being in the Microsoft camp, in that I do my playing on the XBox (360 and One). As of this writing, I'm currently playing Star Wars Battelefront, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Star Trek Online, and a few others. You can find me on XBox under the gamer tag, "ThePartTimeGeek." Go figure. 

Along with the various games, I'm in love with science and technology. The opportunity we have to better our lives through the application of our intellect, of that which at its very essence is what makes us human, absolutely astounds me and fills me with a sense of wonder and hope. While I shy away from the prospect of artificial intelligence and autonomous machines (I've seen all the Terminator movies, I know how that ends!), I whole heartedly cheer for exploration, augmentation, discovery, and knowledge for the sake of just knowing.

Then there's drawing, movies, Star Wars and Star Trek, comics, Doctor Who, Supernatural, indie film creation..... all these parts help contribute to the whole that is the wonderfulness of me. Over time, I hope to share some of these tidbits with you, help you become a little more familiar with what it means to be my brand of geek.

At least, part time.

No comments:

Post a Comment